1. Be trustworthy. If your celeb crush messages you on Twitter or Facebook, don’t immediately blast it out hyperventilatingly on your news feed. Celebs are always on guard for groupies and tabloid tattlers, so you want to prove that you won’t be the next girl to sell him out.
2. Interview him for a blog. Hey, it’s shameless, but if you ask original, thoughtful questions that forge a bond between you and him, it might spark something! Just make sure you get his private email and number after the interview. And oh, get an assignment from a legit site, not.
3. Stand out. If he’s said in a past interview that his favorite color is purple, don’t dress like a walking eggplant like the gazillions of other girls trying to get his attention. Wear something stylish and unique, but not too revealing. A short skirt and heeled boots might make him look at you, but he won’t be looking into your eyes, which is the true key to making any love connection.
4. Become famous. Celebrities like dating other celebrities. They feel safe and comfortable around people who can understand the unique plusses and minuses of being globally adored. So become awesome at something that elevates you. Write an award-winning screenplay. Publish a novel. Create an uber-popular blog. Find the cure for cancer. Produce a mind-blowing documentary movie. Whatever your passion, make a name for yourself and it will get his attention and respect. Then, you’re in The Club.
5. Write Songs. In my novel Fangirl, Peter the popstar falls for Josie after first falling in love with her songwriting. He craves a muse, and the fact that she looks good in tight jeans is only icing on the cake. If you can connect creatively, it could be the gateway to connecting romantically. Plus, it would mean lots of late-night studio sessions crafting love songs…
6. Post A Cute Twitter Profile Pic. Twitter is the primary point of contact for fans and popstars. Your thumbnail-size profile pic will be the first visual impression you make. Go for cute, not sexy.
7. Tweet responsibly. Don’t obsessively tweet him every night at 2 a.m. telling him how hot he is. Friendly and flirty little tweets here and there work better! If you’re lucky enough for him to reply, play it cool. Don’t tweet to your friends that you’re so “freaking out” if he tweets you back.
8. Become His Backup Dancer. All those late-night rehearsals, long bus rides, and chill time on the bus and at the hotel is sure to lead to something! When a popstar is on tour, his world becomes very small, and his dance crew is among that elite inner circle.
9. Meet him away from fans. If at all possible, don’t meet your star crush when he’s surrounded by hormonal worshipers. It will only bring down your stock. Instead, find out where he socializes. Maybe it’s somewhere he goes bowling with friends, but it should be a place you can “run into him.”
10. Be human. Popstars are people too. They might enjoy fame and fortune, but they also have family drama, personal insecurities, health issues, and other every day ups and downs like the rest of us. Popstars love getting attention for what they do, but ultimately they will date someone who appreciates and respects them for who they are.