Shannon’s Labor and Birthing Story

I was privileged to be the first to wear this beautiful labor and birthing bracelet. This was my 3rd pregnancy. My first was a vaginal induction (39 weeks), my second we lost half way through to Trisomy18 and my third ended up in a vaginal induction (39 weeks, 1 day).

I began wearing the bracelet as soon as I received it and believe the bracelet helped me to go into labor before my scheduled induction. I arrived at the hospital Monday, August 17th, 2015 at 6:15 am (for my scheduled birth) and was already 4.5 cms dilated! I had been experiencing sporadic contractions for a few days which I thought were braxton hicks.

When the pitocin was around 6, the baby’s heart rate dropped and the pitocin was stopped. Up until that point everything had been wonderful. I was laboring through very painful contractions by controlling my breathing and using visualization. After the baby’s heart rate was restored we began the pitocin again but getting through the contractions was much more difficult as the contractions weren’t regular (often right on top of one another) and they were exceptionally strong. Around 12 pm I asked to be checked; my dilation hadn’t moved and the baby was still up high. My husband and I talked it over and decided to move forward with an epidural with the hopes I could relax and allow my body to do what it needed to do.

It took two tries for the epidural (two tries for the IV also) but my bottom half was relaxed enough for me to get some rest. About 2 minutes after staring the epidural meds my blood pressure dropped to 80 over 49. It took a few minutes to get it back up but we did and it remained good for the remainder of the labor and birthing experience.

My doctor arrived a little over 2 hours later. He checked me and I was 9 cms! He broke my water; I went immediately to 10 cms and +2 so we began pushing. Two sets of three 10 counts and little Olive’s head was out. I pushed just once more ten count and her shoulders were out. Olive arrived at 3:04 pm. I tore a tiny bit and didn’t require any cuts which I thought was pretty great for a 8 pound, 10 ounce baby.

I was cleaned up quickly and Olive was laid on my chest skin-to-skin. Olive eventually moved herself down my chest and latched to my right breast. Of course, I was also wearing two BF/PPD/PPA necklaces which I’m sure promoted this healthy start to our nursing relationship.

My story wouldn’t have been as successful without MBS.


Leave a Comment: