This weekend is the rarest of the rare. I have Saturday AND Sunday off. Holy crow!!! How did this miracle of miracles happen? I am over joyed and stumped.
I can’t make up my mind on a format for my journal. I love the idea of choosing a topic and writing about that. I also like keeping it simple, writing about my day. I might do like a Topic Tuesday kind of thing.
I have been trying to find a forum for parents of mentally ill kids. I would like to know what sort of odds we are up against as Snoochie grows into the teens. Advice & stories are the sort of thing I am going for.
I’ve come across a lot of lists of what NOT to say to a person who suffers from depression. Here’s some of what I have found:
1. “Other people have it worse”
Instead say “I am here for you.”
2. “Life isn’t fair”
Instead say “You are important to me.”
3. “Stop feeling sorry for yourself:
Instead say “Can I help? Do you want a hug?”
4. “Well… aren’t you always depressed?”
Instead say “You aren’t crazy.”
5. “Try not to be depressed.”
Instead say “There is hope.”
6. “It is your own fault.”
Instead say “When all this is over, I’ll still be here and so will you.”
7. “Believe me, I know how you feel. I was depressed once for several days.”
Instead say “I will do my best to understand.”
8. “I think your depression is a way of punishing us.”
Instead say “I won’t leave & abandon you.”
9. “Haven’t you grown tired of all this “me, me, me” stuff yet?”
Instead say “I care about you” Or (and only if you mean it) “I love you.”